Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Serves: 8 to 12
Nutritional breakdown (per serving)
Protein: 16 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Fats: 12 g
Fibre: 3.4 g
- 2 cups 10% cream
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- ½ cup grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 16 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1 cup Canadian mozzarella or provolone cheese, shredded
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine egg, ricotta, basil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine cream and water; whisk in flour, ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper. Cook over medium heat, whisking frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbling and thickened. Remove from heat; whisk in pasta sauce and half of Parmesan.
- Spread 1 cup of sauce in bottom of baking dish. Top with 4 pasta noodles, trimming to fit. Spread with 1/3 of sauce, then 1/3 of asparagus. Top with another 4 noodles. Spread with ricotta mixture. Repeat layers with remaining pasta, sauce and asparagus.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven, carefully uncover, and sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining Parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or until noodles are tender and top is golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.